A View Unlike Any Other
See Niagara Falls and the Great Gorge like never before!
Hornblower Niagara Cruises is bringing a piece of history back to the Niagara Gorge. In 1894, the Niagara Parks and River Railway opened the Clifton Incline Railway. Over the course of 90 years, the railway underwent a few ownerships and name changes.
In 2017, nearly 28 years since the original cars operated, Hornblower Niagara Cruises teamed up with Engineering and Design Companies AnCam of Oakville, Ontario to begin construction of two 50-passenger state-of-the-art funicular cars to operate along the Great Gorge. Much of the gorge including the strata walls and vegetation were not touched during the construction of the Funicular in order to preserve the flora and fauna.
Today, the modern Hornblower Niagara Funicular will transport passengers up and down the 18,000-year-old rock on the Great Gorge walls 185 feet – equal to the distance of nearly 19 stories on an angle. The temperature controlled glass-enclosed cars, feature audio commentary, priority seating and will give riders a panoramic unobstructed view of the Horseshoe and American Falls and convenient access to our Riverside Patio and boarding area. It’s a one-of-a-kind adventure you don’t want to miss!
- Convenient Transportation to/from our Riverside Patio and Boarding area
- Comfortable Climate-controlled Funicular Cars
- Incredible Views
- Audio Commentary
- Wheelchair Accessibility
Access to the Hornblower Niagara Funicular ($3 plus tax for Adults & Children; Free for Infants) is included when you purchase a Falls Fireworks Cruise ticket online.
Hours of Operation
The Funicular Booth and operations to transport guests down to the Riverside Patio and boarding area opens 30 minutes prior to the first sailing of the day and closes 15 minutes prior to the last sailing of the day.
|Dates||Funicular Opens||Funicular Closes|
|November 1 - December 1|
(Closing Date is Weather Permitting)
|9:30 am||3:45 pm|
For details on our tours and cruises please visit our Schedule Page.
Did You Know?
The basic idea of a Funicular operation (sometimes referred to as an Incline Railway) is that two cars are always attached to each other by a cable, which runs through a pulley at the top of the slope. Counterbalancing of the two cars, with one going up and one going down, minimizes the energy needed to lift the car going up. Therefore, the Funicular are one of the most energy-efficient modes of transport out there.
- All Funicular passengers and carry-on items will be subject to search.
- Acceptable luggage/carry-on items include a purse, camera bag, small carry-on or backpack (with no wheels) or small to midsize infant stroller.
- Any luggage item larger than 36cm (14”) x 23cm (9”) x 56cm (22”) is not permitted on Hornblower Niagara Cruises property.
- Use of the Hornblower Niagara Funicular is subject to normal hours of operations, availability and weather conditions. At its sole discretion, Hornblower Niagara Cruises reserves the right to provide alternative means of transportation to the Riverside Patio and boarding area. In the event that the Hornblower Niagara Funicular is not available for use, no refunds shall be issued.